[
Copy protect all web site media

Copy Protect Web Site Content & Media

Securing web sites to protect text, images and other media from copy and piracy can seem like a daunting task because there are so many avenues available to site visitors thanks to today's web browsers.

Most web browsers are designed to exploit web sites

No stone is left unturned when it comes to providing the means for copying and saving web site content. To make their browsers as appealing as possible, browser designers enable users to copy, print and save anything on a page and just in case they cannot right-click, there are options to download everything on the page with one click of the mouse to retrieve the web page and every images, script and media attached to it.

Copy protecting web content in popular browsers

To restrict copying in popular web browsers, the following options need to be checked:
  • Right mouse click to "save as".
  • Browser menu option for saving the page with all embedded media.
  • Right mouse click to save the page with all embedded media.
  • Highlighting by mouse select and copy-and-paste to the clipboard.
  • Click select by mouse and drag-and-drop to the desktop.
  • Right mouse click to send to a printer or file driver for conversion.
  • Browser menu option for sending to printer or file converter.
  • Right mouse click to send attached to an email.
  • Browser menu option for sending as an email attachment.
  • Using Ctrl C or Print Screen to create a screenshot of the page.
  • Using screen capture software and recorders to copy pages and video.
  • Locating the download resource of media from view of source code.
  • Using site and file grabbers to download media linked from a page.
  • Using file grabbers to retrieve media from web browser cache.
  • Packet-sniffing to intercept page resources and passwords.
Limitations and requirements

Today we have many different operating systems (OS), all of which fall into distinct family types such as Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS, etc. So designing a copy protection solution becomes most difficult and while it might be possible to provide plugins for all of these OS, in reality it is impossible because most either cannot support proper copy protection or are too unstable to survive a rollout, ie: by the time your user upgrades to the latest update that OS will more than likely be outdated.

Securing web page content in popular web browsers

There is no solution that will adequately protect content that can be used with all operating systems. Yes, there are solutions available for all OS but they have so many holes and they can be so easily exploited that you may as well not use protection. For example, how can anything be considered as being "protected" when all it takes is a click of the Print Screen button to capture an image of the whole page or part thereof?

ArtistScope, the founder of copy protection for the Internet and leading developer of DRM since 1998, provides the most secure copy protect solutions that are supported across all Windows versions since XP, which is 92% of all Internet users. The remaining 8% is a mixture of OS, 2% of which are search engines and media grabbers.

The ArtistScope web browser plugin

ArtistScope provides a CopySafe Service that is second to none when it comes to preventing copy from all methods including Print Screen and screen capture. CopySafe Web Protection was first released in 1999 and it is supported on all Windows computers. Site visitors can use their favorite web browser and to view protected web pages, they can download the plugin just like they did when encountering Flash for the first time.

Using CopySafe Web on your web pages

CopySafe Web is the most secure solution for displaying encrypted images and it is the encrypted image that activates the CopySafe plugin when it loads. Consequently any web page can be protected by simply adding a small CopySafe encrypted image and any media displayed on that page will also be protected. To apply CopySafe to a web page all one needs to do is add a few lines of HTML.

CopySafe is compatible with all types of web applications

CopySafe Web can be added to any web page regardless of the programming language used. If you are using a CMS and/or have limited HTML skills, ArtistScope provides a variety of free modules for integrating CopySafe Web with most popular CMS solutions: Web browser plugin vs Secure web browser

While it is possible to secure popular browsers the situation is not ideal. However using plugins can enable your users to enjoy the comfort of their favorite web browser and the cost of CopySafe Web licensing is economical when compared to more sophisticated solutions like the ArtistScope Site Protection System (ASPS).

Today there are a few custom web browsers offered for site protection. Some are merely reskinned IE engines that still expose browser cache and some others have been designed to restrict some save and copy options. But the mistake that most browser developers are making is that they are trying to support all operating systems (OS) and that is where they fail... proper copy protection is not possible with Mac and Linux based OS.

Why undermine web security for the sake of 5% of users?

Although Mac users may disagree (because they tend to use sites recommended by other Mac users) usage logs from typical web sites indicate that Windows users make up for about 92% of their visitors. Of that remaining 8% only 5% are Mac users with the rest are made up of odd OS, search engines and spybots.

So for the sake of 5% of your site's visitors, why settle for a web browser that cannot be secure and cannot protect your media from piracy and plagiarism. Is that the business model that you want to invest in?

The most secure web browser

There is only one web browser that is safe from all methods and copy and save, and it is supported on all Windows OS since XP. Unlike pretentious "secure" browsers, the ASPS Web Reader provides:
  • Creates a secure tunnel between the web server and the user's computer.
  • Safe from packet sniffers even without the use of SSL.
  • Web pages cannot be viewed by any other browser or application.
  • Embedded media resources cannot be located in page source code.
  • No content or code can be retrieved from web browser cache.
  • All media is safe from file grabbers and downloaders.
  • Protects all media without requiring that media to be encrypted.
  • Pages cannot be printed unless allowed by the webmaster/designer.
  • Pages cannot be copied by using Print Screen to take a screenshot.
  • Pages and video cannot be screen recorded or captured.
  • Absolutely no options for copy and save.
Even when the page and media is on display in the web browser, nothing can be copied in any way... that is, without using a camera to take a photograph of the computer screen. The ASPS Web Reader, short for ArtistScope Site Protection System, is the most secure web browser and the only web browser that can effectively protect web page and media from all methods of copy and save.

The ArtistScope Site Protection System (ASPS)

ASPS is not just a web browser. Instead it is a server to browser solution that has been designed from end-to-end with copy protection in mind. Web pages assigned for use by the ASPS Web Reader are delivered in encrypted format from the server and they can only be decrypted by the ASPS Web Reader, thus creating a most secure tunnel between your site and your visitor. Intercepting this page is useless as it cannot be deciphered except by the ASPS Web Reader and it cannot be hacked.

ASPS filter is supported on all web servers

The ASPS filter can be installed on all Windows servers/computers running IIS since XP and all Linux servers.

ASPS is compatible with all types of CMS and web applications

ASPS encryption does not affect a web application or the programming language used to create web pages because it encrypts and delivers the page after it has been assembled by the server. It doesn't matter if your site is powered by PHP,  Sharepoint, .NET or static HTML. Any and all CMS applications like DotNetNuke, Drupal, Joomla, Moodle and WordPress can be run from a ASPS website.

Preparing site content for ASPS

No special treatment like encryption or conversion is required as the only preparation required is to add a line of HTML before the page's DOCTYPE statement. To protect pages you add that code and any pages not including that code will not be protected. When the ASPS Web Reader encounters such a page it will redirect the user to open it in the their default web browser. This way you can create doorway pages and leave sections of your site accessible to normal browsers and then most securely protect only those sections or pages that are critical to your mission.

Downloading and evaluating ASPS

The ASPS Web Reader can be downloaded from their demo site. After download, simply follow the links for "Guided Tour' to explore a variety of different media that can be protected by ASPS.


Return to top

Click for more Copy Protection resources.


















 Copy Protection & DRM News

Copyright © 2016 Addmine. All Rights Reserved.
]